Wednesday 14 March 2012

How 'Classic' is your Cocktail ???

I LOVE Cocktails and I can dare say I certainly do have a wide enough memory bank of cocktails to recon with. What irritates me the most is that in todays world everyone who stands behind the bar considers themselves to be a great mixologist without knowing the M of mixing drinks except maybe for mixing up a great vodka/rum, ice and cola or a wonderful gin, ice and tonic with a couple of cubes of ice or better still Peter 'scotch' on the rocks. They also make tall claims of making fantastic classic cocktails, for the fun of which I always (or rather pun of which) I almost always get adventurous. One of the reasons I believe is the lack of quality formal training for bartenders at affordable prices.

Style and Flair (most often equated to throwing and catching bottles) are left to ones own imagination. There are very few Bartenders (or Mixologist as they would like to be called in todays world) in this city who I can put my money on for mixing cocktails and classic cocktails at that. More so, there are very few bars in the city where I can order cocktails and be happy to finish them.  In my recent tryst with cocktails at a city's popular bar, I was served a Whisky Sour with a salted rim. One of the most common errors bartenders make is to serve a Mojito with crushed ice or if you ask for a Martini you will almost always get one 'shaken' with Vodka (Thank you Mr Bond).. hmmm, how classic is that ??? 

There is a world full of Classic cocktails, Should you need any references, PLEASE do not just google/ wikipedia it. Invest in a good cocktail book by Dale DeGroff or by a reputed Bartenders Guild. Get your classic cocktails right, use them as concepts for experimenting with to get better results AND remember, The Classics never go out of style.


Cheers !!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment